fbpx

Timeline

1881

The Crystal Palace public house
The original football club was founded in 1881 and was known simply as “St Albans” and played on a field situated off Hatfield Road known as “Reynolds Field”. Their headquarters were the Crystal Palace public house which stood on the corner of London Road and Lattimore Road.

Read more

1899

In 1899, another club, the St Albans Amateurs, was formed and played in the Herts County League from 1900 to 1904. They played most of their games at Clarence Park but a few matches were played at the Grammar School ground.

Read more

1904

In 1904 the St Albans Amateurs club folded but a new team, St Albans Abbey, was founded. The Abbey team reached the finals of the Herts Senior Cup and the Herts Charity Cup.

Read more

1907

In 1907 the St Albans Abbey club folded.

Read more

Note: This page is a work in progress and will hopefully on completion provide a clear and concise timeline of the club’s history. Currently, this links to the Herts Memories website that was launched in 2009 to celebrate life in Hertfordshire. The content of that site is the copyright of Hertfordshire County Council and St Albans City FC is not responsible for the accuracy or any errors contained upon that site.