Saints bow out of the Cup

City’s FA Cup campaign came to an end on Saturday as they suffered a 4-1 defeat against division rivals Weymouth at the Bob Lucas Stadium.

The Terras, who defeated the Saints by the same scoreline at Clarence Park last month, started the game the better of the two sides and forced Snedker into an early save. A cross from the right found Baggie at the back post and he saw his low strike turned away from danger by the 24 year old.

The hosts didn’t have to wait long to open the scoring, however, and they took the lead in the eleventh minute following an incisive twelve pass move that ended with Josh Wakefield sending a strike, with the aid of a heavy deflection off of Longe-King, past Snedker.

That goal appeared to galvanise the Saints, who responded by creating three openings during a six minute spell. The first saw top-scorer Joe Iaciofano pick the ball up in his own half and march towards the box before Weymouth goalkeeper Calum Ward, who was off his line early, claimed the ball at the striker’s feet.

City were presented with an even better one two minutes later and it was another defence splitting run, this time from Zane Banton, that created the chance. The attacker, who had started the attack by winning the ball in the centre of the park, latched onto Nwabuokei’s through ball and sent an effort with the outside of the boot goal wards that Ward stopped low to his left.

Ian Allinson’s side continued to look dangerous on the break and they tested Ward again when Shulton received the ball on the edge box curled it straight into the grateful arms of the home stopper.

The momentum of the tie swung back towards the home side in the 36th minute following a contentious penalty decision.

A Weymouth corner was punched as far as Ben Thomson by Snedker and the forward spun in the box before he was tackled by Solomon Nwabuokei, who appeared to win the ball. Referee Wayne Cartmel, however, did not agree and pointed to the spot, sparking strong protests from the City squad.

Terras captain Jake McCarthy eventually stepped up and dispatched the penalty high to the goalkeeper’s right.

Weymouth came out after the interval looking the most likely to score and duly extended their lead twenty minutes into the second forty-five. Having halted a City attack, the hosts broke with speed and precision down the right before Baggie’s low cross was slotted into the bottom corner by Yemi Odubade.

City did reduce the deficit ninety seconds later when Sam Merson knocked the ball down for Banton twenty-yards out, who took a touch before sending an arrowed strike past Ward.

Weymouth, however, continued to cause the Saints problems and eventually grabbed their fourth and final goal of the game with three minutes left on the clock. Substitute Ngalo went on a powerful fifty yard run down the left found Odubade at the back post, who had the simplest of finishes for his second strike of the afternoon.

The Saints are back in action against Eastbourne Borough at Clarence Park next Saturday.

Other Articles

Saints Networking Club