Saints 2 Chelmsford City 1

Layne Eadie celebrates after putting the Saints two goals ahead

St Albans City’s clinical finishing was the difference at Clarence Park on Saturday afternoon as they defeated Chelmsford City 2-1 in what proved to be a scrappy affair.

It was the visitors who started the game looking the brighter of the two sides and had a sighting of goal within 40 seconds of kick off when Batt hit a speculative half-volley from 25 yards that went wide of Snedker’s goal.

However, it was the hosts who took the lead with just over quarter of an hour gone.

St Albans built an attack through the middle and Noble played the ball through to Monlouis who powered into the Chelmsford box and hit a right footed effort that deflected off of a defender and left Beasant stranded in the visiting goal.

Tom Bender almost doubled his side’s lead in the 29th minute, but his goal bound header from a Noble corner bounced off of Church at the back post before Bradbury hooked his follow-up wide.

The ever dangerous Batt created an excellent opening two minutes later when he turned Moore-Azille and hit a powerful effort that Snedker had to dive high to his left to tip away.

Just as the game entered the 45th minute the hosts grabbed their second through an unlikely source. Noble and Monlouis again combined before the latter flicked the ball into the path of Eadie who calmly chipped the ball over a diving Beasant to score his first of the campaign.
Dickson should have reduced the arrears after the interval but he sent a chipped effort over Snedker and wide after latching onto to Batt’s through ball.

The home side felt that they should have been awarded a penalty in the 70th minute when Braham-Barrett appeared to flick the ball away from the path of Murrell-Williamson with his hand. Referee Rob Whitton, however, was not moved by the protests.
Another opening for the visitors came with ten minutes left when Oyenuga met Barnard’s delightful low cross in from the left and proceeded to slice it well over the goal.

Chelmsford’s pressure finally told in the 86th minute when Oyenuga made amends for that miss after controlling Church’s knock down before drilling a shot into the bottom corner.

However, despite the late pressure the hosts held on and St Albans assistant manager Lee Allinson was delighted with the result “It was really important that we bounced back after our defeat on New Year’s Day”

He concluded “After we got the first goal, we started playing how we want to, passing and moving and we needed that second goal just before half time, it relieved the pressure on us from Chelmsford”.

Written by Jake Ellacott
Photo courtesy of Robert Walkley

Match details