Hampton & Richmond 0 Saints 1

St Albans City returned to winning ways with a deserved three points against Hampton & Richmond Borough in South London on Saturday afternoon.

It took almost half an hour for the first opening of the game and it fell the way of Saints when Khale Da Costa burst down the right and whipped a ball towards the back post where David Moyo met it, but his downwards header drifted wide of the post.

Da Costa was involved again eight minutes later and almost opened the scoring when he cut into the box, drifted past Downer, and sent a powerful strike from the angle that Lovelock had to tip over the bar.

The hosts made a change during the interval bringing on Craig Dundas for Zak Joseph, but it was a change that had little effect with the Saints continuing to have better of the two sides after the break.

The Saints continued to probe and took the lead just past the hour mark following a brilliantly worked move that saw Khale Da Costa tee up Zane Banton with a back heel and the former Luton Town man calmly took a touch before stroking the ball home.

The hosts were presented with an opportunity for an equaliser just three minutes later when Solomon Sambou was harshly adjudged to have brought down a Hampton man twenty-five yards out.

Whichelow’s free-kick was well struck and looped over the City wall, but Snedker shifted to his left and made the save low to his left.

Ian Allinson’s side continued to push for a second and Sambou almost grabbed it when he met Moyo’s cross from the left at the back post, however he failed to time his header correctly and it failed to trouble Lovelock.

Da Costa was next to have a sight of goal, twisting and turning on the edge of the Hampton box before sending a curling left footed effort over the bar.

With the game entering the final stage the Beavers went in search of an equaliser but the closest they came was through Dickson’s snap shot on the turn, which Snedker gathered easily low to his right.

The Saints saw out additional time in relative comfort and now move on to Weston-Super-Mare, who are the visitors to Clarence Park next Saturday.

Match details

Other Articles

Herts Senior Cup semi-final