• vanarama

Hungerford Town 5 Saints 0

St Albans City suffered a heavy 5-0 defeat against relegation threatened Hungerford Town on Saturday.

The first danger sign for the Saints came in twelfth minute when Orsi-Dadomo burst into the area and struck an effort straight at Dean Snedker.

Snedker was called upon to make another save four minutes later from a Whittingham free-kick, getting down well to his right to turn the strike away.

Liam Sole, making his first start for the club, forced Luyambula into his first save of the game after working the ball forward and shooting from the edge of the area.

However, the home side struck less than a minute later through Orsi-Dadomo, who was in the right place at the right time to turn home Hargreaves’ cross from the right.

The Crusaders continued to push forward and scored their second of the afternoon on the half hour mark when Darren Foxley’s free-kick from twenty-yards out looped over the City wall and past the diving Snedker.

That lead was extended even further in first half stoppage time and it was Orsi-Dadomo who struck again, picking the ball up in the box after another good spell of passing play from the hosts and finding the far corner bottom of the net with his strike.

The Saints came out after the interval looking like a much-improved side and almost scored within two minutes of the restart, but Sole’s rifled drive was turned away by Luyambula.

Hungerford, however, continued to be a threat on the counter attack and should have extended their lead when Hargreaves latched onto a through ball, but the wide-man’s effort was tipped away one-handed by Snedker.

Luyambula preserved his clean sheet just a minute later after Sole’s cross took a heavy deflection and the home stopper was forced to claw the ball out from virtually under his own crossbar.

That proved to be as close as the Saints would come to reducing the deficit and they could well have been four goals down a couple of minutes later, but Snedker did well to make a reaction save from a deflected cross before Johnson-Schuster’s curling effort crashed off of the bar.

That fourth goal did eventually come, however, and it was Jones who found the back of the net after he picked up Snedker’s wild throw and finished smartly from the edge of the box.

The scoring was complete three minutes later and it was again all too easy for the hosts as Whittingham beat the offside trap and calmly slotted the ball past Snedker.

At the full time whistle the City players went over to apologise to the travelling supporters, who will be hoping for a reaction from the squad next weekend at Wealdstone.

Match details

Other Articles