Maidenhead United FC v St Albans City FC


Club1st Half2nd HalfFinal scoreResult
Maidenhead United FC011Draw
St Albans City011Draw


Date Time League Season
10th September 2016 3:00 pm National League South 2016/2017



The Saints visited league leaders Maidenhead United and brought back a well-earned point despite ending the game with just nine players after both Ben Martin and Junior Morias were shown red cards late in an eventful second half.

The Saints started the game brightly with some slick passing moves but were unable to create any clear cut chances for Junior or Louie. After 20 minutes, the home team began to create their own chances but the Saints’ defence held firm and the score remained goalless at half-time.

Two minutes following the re-start, Maidenhead thought they were in front but Sean Marks’ goal was ruled out for off-side. The Saints also began to create their own chances and only a last ditch tackle by Inman prevented Louie Theophanous from opening the scoring. However, in the 62nd minute, a rare defensive lapse by the Saints allowed the league’s top scorer, Dave Tarpey, to break into the area and pass to Harry Pritchard who hit the ball past James Russell to give Maidenhead a 1-0 lead.

The goal resulted in the Saints grabbing back the initiative and, together with the introduction of Shaun Lucien and Sam Merson, began to cause plenty of problems for the Maidenhead defenders. In the 80 minute, the Saints were awarded a free kick just outside of the opposition’s penalty area following a poor tackle on Junior Morias. Shaun Lucien took the kick and curled a delightful shot into the top corner to bring the scores level.

The Saints were now in the ascendancy and looked the more likely side to win the game. But in the 83rd minute, Ben Martin was shown a second yellow and then a red card following a late tackle on Christian Smith. The game continued to flow and the Saints still look dangerous on the attack until, in the 88th minute, the referee decided – to the surprise of everyone in the ground – to give a second yellow card to Junior Morias and sent him off.

Down to nine players, the Saints put up a dogged defence and held on for the remainder of the match, including an additional 5 minutes of injury time, to get a deserved draw that leaves the Saints in 3rd place.

Referee: Savvas Yianni (Weston-super-Mare)

Attendance: 719




Maidenhead United FC

# Player Position Goals Assists Yellow Cards Red Cards Penalties
1Carl PentneyGoalkeeper00000
2James HammondDefender00000
3Rene SteerDefender00000
4Christian SmithMidfielder00100
5Alan MasseyDefender00100
6Dean InmanDefender00000
7David Tarpey 14Midfielder01 (63')000
8James ComleyMidfielder00000
9Sean MarksForward00000
10James MulleyMidfielder00000
11Harry PritchardMidfielder1 (63')0000
12Charlie WassmerDefender00000
14Kieron Forbes 7Midfielder00000
15Ryan PetersDefender00000
16Kyran WiltshireMidfielder00000
17Isaac OlorunfemiMidfielder00000
 Total 11200

Manager: Alan Devonshire

St Albans City

# Player Position Goals Assists Yellow Cards Red Cards Penalties
1James RussellGoalkeeper00000
2Ben HerdDefender00100
3Tom BenderDefender00000
4Lee ChappellMidfielder, Captain00000
5Ben MartinDefender0011 (83')0
6Josh HillDefender00000
7George Casey 12Midfielder00000
8Scott ThomasMidfielder00000
9Louie Theophanous 14Forward00000
10Junior MoriasForward01 (80')11 (88')0
11David Noble 17Midfielder00000
12Sam Merson 7Forward001 (90')00
14Matthew Ball 9Midfielder00100
15Dipo AkinyemiForward00000
16Rhys HoenesMidfielder00000
17Shaun Lucien 11Midfielder1 (80')0000
 Total 11520

Manager: Ian Allinson
Assistant Manager: Lee Allinson
Goalkeeping Coach: Rhys Tom
First Team Coach: Vacant
Physio: Ross Caseberry

Yellow Cards
Red Cards


York Road
17 Bell Street, Maidenhead, Windsor and Maidenhead SL6 1BU, UK