Eastbourne Borough 1 Saints 2

The Saints travelled to the south coast in search of their first victory since October, but were dealt a blow before they even left Hertfordshire when Sam Merson pulled out of the squad with an illness.

It was the hosts who started the game the brighter of the two sides and former City man Charlie Walker could have opened the scoring with less than ten minutes on the clock when he latched onto a through ball, but the forward dragged his strike wide of the back post.

However, Eastbourne didn’t have too long to wait for the opening goal and it came through former Leyton Orient man Dean Cox, who was played through and slotted the ball under Snedker in the seventeenth minute.

Walker continued to be a thorn in the side of the Saints and forced Snedker into a save when he sent an arrowed header low to the goalkeeper’s left.

St Albans grew into the game and looked certain to score when Ben Wyatt received the ball out-wide and fizzed a ball into the box, but David Moyo saw his first-time effort denied by a last-ditch tackle.

David Noble was next to go closest, but he saw his curled effort from inside the home area saved by Smith.

The Saints continued to apply the pressure after the half time interval and the equaliser came in the 53rd minute after good work by Ben Wyatt played in David Moyo, and the forward took a touch before finding the far corner of the net.

It got even better for City five minutes later when Wyatt’s corner fell to Josh Mcleod-Urquhart at the back of the box, and the new signing chipped the ball back into the danger area where Lewis Knight met it and struck a sweet first-time volley past the sprawling Smith.

With just over twenty-minutes left on the clock St Albans were reduced to ten men when Clovis Kamdjo received his marching orders after a late tackle on an Eastbourne man.

Eastbourne searched for an equaliser, but Charlie Walker saw his turn and strike sail over the target before Liddle’s effort from twenty-five yards was well saved by Snedker.

However, the Saints held out and a resolute defensive performance with ten men saw them pick up all three points and perfectly set up Boxing Day’s meeting with Hemel Hempstead Town at Clarence Park, kick-off 1pm.

Match details

Other Articles

Boxing Day arrangements