Chippenham Town 0 Saints 0

St Albans City and Chippenham Town shared the points at a wind swept Hardenhuish Park on Saturday.

It was the home side who adjusted quicker to the difficult conditions and their first sight of goal came in the eleventh minute when Jarvis met a cross in the box but he struck a miss-timed effort which trickled into the arms of Snedker.

Snedker was called upon to make a rather more impressive save ten minutes later, denying Chambers with an out-stretched leg after the attacker had beaten the offside trip.

Chippenham continued to keep Snedker busy but the City stopper comfortably held onto long range efforts from Smile and Davies.

The Saints burst into life in the 36th minute when an attack down the left saw the ball played into Moyo who flicked it up into the path of Wyatt and the midfielder struck a vicious volley which House palmed away at full stretch.

City begun the second half in similar fashion and Merson saw an effort from a tight angle two minutes after the restart crash into the side-netting before the forward turned provider, nodding a high ball down into the path of Sambou but his effort was well saved.

The swirling wind almost caused problems for City prior to the hour mark when a Chambers free-kick looped towards the net and had to be punched clear by Snedker who was under pressure from a number of Chippenham players.

The Saints were forced into a change with less than quarter of an hour left on the clock after a late challenge caught Zane Banton. Following lengthy treatment by both physios the wide-man was stretchered off and replaced by James Ewington.

The final ten minutes of the game saw both sides search for a winner and Chippenham were presented with an opening when Parselle met a corner and nodded the ball towards goal, however Snedker was in the right place to claim the effort and hold onto it.

City countered almost immediately and Ewington picked the ball up deep in the home half and turned a defender before whipping in an inch perfect cross. The delivery was met by Merson but the forward’s flicked effort was denied by the out-stretched hand of House.

The Saints were camped in the Chippenham half as the game entered added time and were denied a winner once again by House, who did well to turn away Ewington’s effort from almost point-blank range following Merson’s knock down.

Match details

Other Articles

Michael Thalassitis RIP